I am definitely guilty of what I describe above, so I'm trying to get better at really trying to think and find out exactly what a person wants or needs. For those people who seem to have everything, today's post contains links to some super fun and creative homemade food gifts ideas, as gathered by Ellen at Family Around the Table. We all have to eat, right?! Check them all out, and maybe a few of the ideas will jump out at you as being a perfect treat for someone special to you.
I've been working on a few homemade projects this year, including this homemade brownie mix. I tweaked a few ingredients in my usual favorite brownie recipe to make it shelf stable, and then put it in a festive jar, with a little note describing how to prepare. With this mix, you only add eggs, vanilla, and a little bit of milk, and after baking you've got perfectly soft, fudgy brownies. I've even included a little package of ingredients to mix up with milk and a bit of vanilla to glaze the top with. This will be the perfect homemade gift for any chocolate lover in your life!
For the brownie mix:-1/2 cup vegetable shortening (such as Crisco), cubed
-1 cup sugar
-1/3 cup cocoa
-1/2 cup flour
-1/4 tsp salt
-1/4 tsp baking powder
Mix all of the above ingredients with a pastry cutter or two forks until they resemble fine crumbs. It will look like coarse, chocolaty sugar. Place in a 2 cup capacity decorative jar (or a mason jar).
For the glaze mix:-1.5 tbsp cocoa
-1/2 cup powdered/icing sugar.
Place the glaze ingredients in a zipper bag and place on top of the brownie mix ingredients.
Instructions to prepare: (make sure to include these with your gift!)Whisk together brownie mix ingredients with two eggs, 1 tsp vanilla, and 2 tbsp milk until well combined. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 25 minutes, or until the center is just set. Don't overbake! No one likes a dry and crusty brownie :(
Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Prepare the glaze by combining glaze mix with 1/2 tsp vanilla and approximately 2 tbsp milk. Whisk until smooth. Glaze the brownies while they are still warm. Enjoy!
If you're looking for some other fantastic #FoodGifts , be sure to check out the links below!
- Chocolate Mixed Nut Clusters by Family Around The Table
- Mama T's Garlic-Parmesan Seasoning Mix by Tip Garden
- Chocolate Holiday Stir Sticks by The Freshman Cook
- Reindeer Crunch by Palatable Pastime
- Peppermint Bark Fudge by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Taco Spice Mix by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Churro Chex Mix by Books n' Cooks
- Espresso Hot Fudge Sauce by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Old Fashioned Divinity by House of Nash Eats
- Rosemary Parmesan Crackers by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Infused Olive Oils by Bear & Bug Eats
- Mulled Cider Spice Mix by Everyday Eileen
- Caramel and Chocolate Dipped Pretzel Rods by Making Miracles
- White Chocolate Cranberry-Orange Bark by The Redhead Baker
- Orange Cranberry Walnut Loaf by Red Cottage Chronicles
- Hand Blended Mulling Spices by Culinary Adventures with Camilla